Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Legal Authority

" Patent attorneys must be licensed to practice law and also be licensed by the USPTO to practice before it." Patent, Copyright and Trademark by Atorney Richard Stim,page 104. I found that the project that we had to find a lawyer really difficult. Lawyers on the most part do not want to talk to you about anything without a retainer fee or they just do not have time. My first search was from my list of lawyers in which I made a blog of earlier, and they all were busy mostly because of the Thanksgiving holiday season. My first call was to Skinner, Watson, and Rounds, P.C. Law Firm. I spoke with someone, maybe a patent agent, left a message with her and no one called me back. "Patent Agents are non attorneys with technical training, who are legally permitted to draft, file, and prosecute patent applications on behalf of inventors." Patent, Copyright and Trademark by Atorney Richard Stim,page 102. I called again, explained that I was a Web Design professional and need some questions answered and would like to speak to someone briefly. Skinner, Watson and Rounds neglected to call me back.

Being already frustrated with this entire project, I called everyone on my list. The firm that finally spoke to me was John Peter Lee LTD. I spoke to a lady explained to her the difficulties that I was having getting my questions answered. I also explained to the assistant that I was a student in search of some questions answered. The administrative assistant of this firm, immediately patched me through to a lawyer that would answer all of my questions. The lawyer's name was Yvette Freidman.

Yvette got on the phone and I was a bit nervous to speak with her about what I needed , being shot down by most of the lawyers that I had spoken with previously. I introduced myself and explained to her that I have a project for school in my Copyright, Patents and Trademarks class. Yvette asked me how I was patched through to her. Already my heart sank, thinking " Ok, here it comes, she is not going to help me." I explained to her that I found the firm's name and number under Intellectual Property on the internet and would be very grateful if she could help me as no one else has. Yvette then said, " Ok, Let's get started." With a big smile on my face, I began to roll out the questions that I had.